Fill out the form below to request a workshop.
February First Friday: Letterpress a Tote $5
- Introduction to Letterpress Printing. Learn how to use wood and metal type to make a printed piece. Possible projects are cards, printed quotes to frame, and coasters. You’ll learn how to lock up type, ink it, select paper and use the Showcard proof press and/or the Kelsey platen presses. Classes are 3 hours long and class size is limited to 5. Paper and ink provided. $35 per person/group discounts of 2 or more: $25 pp. Student price: $20.
Thursday, February 4, 6-9 pm
Saturday, February 6, 10-1 pm (4 spaces left)
Sunday, February 7, 1-4 pm (full)
Thursday, February 11, 6-9 pm (3 spaces left)
Saturday, February 27, 3-6 pm
- Valentine’s Day Cards DIY: Print your own cards or gift for your honey. Paper and ink provided. $35 per person/group discounts of 2 or more: $25 pp. Student price: $20.Tuesday, February 9, 6-9 pm
Friday, February 12, 6-9 pm
- Poster Printing with Wood Type. Print posters up to 14 x 22 inches on a Showcard proof press. Use multiple colors. Classes are 3 hours long and class size is limited to 4. Paper and ink provided. $35 per person/group discounts of 2 or more: $25 pp. Student price: $20. Previous experience using letterpress preferred, but not required.
Saturday, February 20, 10-1 pm (3 spaces left)
- Letterpress on Fabric. Using wood type, linoleum blocks and custom rubber stamps, you’ll print on t-shirts, totes and any kind of fabric for your projects. $40 includes one t-shirt and 1 tote to print. You can bring your own fabrics to print with too.
Thursday, February 18, 6-9 pm
Sunday, February 21, 10-3 pm or 3-6 pm
- Linoleum Block Printing. Create and cut your own relief art that can be printed with letterpress type—you can use a line sketch or trace and transfer line art images. Linoleum blocks of different sizes will be available. Blocks will be printed on the press and will cover how to hand print them at home. Price: $40, blocks up to 6 x 9 are provided, paper and ink included.
Sunday, February 28, 12-4 pm
- Basic Bookbinding. Learn basic book making techiniques. Print a cover and sew a small journal together; create an instant book out of a single sheet of paper by folding and cutting and finally we will create an accordion book. All supplies included. Price $50. 5 hour class.
Saturday, February 27, 10-3.
SCHEDULE A DATE:
- Paste Paper. Build up texture and patterns on paper for use in bookmaking or to print on. Paste paper is an acrylic paint and flour mixture that stays wet while you work your design. Examples below show small notebooks and letterpress posters all printed on paste paper. Must have a class of at least 3 to run, . All supplies included but you are encouraged to bring your own paper. $25
- Collagraph Printing. Build up texture and imagery using found objects like burlap, window screen, fabrics, glue, sand, gesso, paint, paper, scraping tools and more on a sturdy surface like mat board, masonite, linoleum, etc.. The surface can be inked up as a relief and then printed. Type can then be printed on top of the image. $30
- Open Session Letterpress Printing. Three hour print sessions; good for anyone with a special project, letterpress experience or advanced users. Minimal supervision/instruction. $10 an hour. Request a date.
- Monotype Printing: Try out one of the most liberating forms of printmaking. Learn to create one-of-a-kind prints using direct drawing and painterly techniques. Explore color mixing, brushwork, and ghost images. You will love this direct and expressive type of printmaking. No previous experience required. Price $35. Supplies included in price, but feel free to bring paper of your own and some images for inspiration. Request a date.
- DIY Coasters. Want to make your own custom bar coasters? Pick from circles, square or rectangular shapes. Logos or custom art can be ordered ahead of time with two week’s notice. Coasters and ink provided. No experience needed. Price: $25 plus cost of polymer plate if needed. Request a date.
Looking for something else?
- PRINT PARTY for up to 8 people. Reserve an afternoon or evening for your group. BYOB. Snacks provided Cost $125 for 4 hours.
- Gift certificates available
- Custom polymer plates can be ordered before session for an additional fee
Please fill out the form below to sign up for a workshop or for more information.
Presses: Showcard table top; prints up to 14 x 22 inches • Kelsey 6 x 10 tabletop
The Workshop • Crow Designs Studio • 334 Adams Ave., Scranton, PA