We’re moving to a new space in October! Just a few doors up, 344 unit 2. Look us in our new spot come November 1!
Sign up for our newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/cUER3j
Classes are taught by Christine Medley .
Book a private party—evening or weekends are available. 3-4 hours for groups up to 12; $25 pp.
Gift certificates are available. Sign up with the form below.
- Introduction to Letterpress Printing. Learn how to print with wood and metal type. Possible projects include holiday cards, bookmarks, printed quotes, and coasters made with type and vintage image cuts. You’ll learn how to set type, mix inks and use a proof press and/or the Kelsey platen press. Everyone will take home multiple printed pieces. Paper and ink provided. $40 per person/group discounts of 2 or more: $35 pp. Student price: $25.
Sunday, September 24, 1-4 pm
Tuesday, September 26, 6-9 pm
Sunday, October 1, 1-4 pm
Sunday, October 29, 1-4pm
- Poster Printing with Wood Type. Print posters up to 14 x 22 inches on a Showcard proof press. Use multiple colors. Classes are 3 hours long and class size is limited to 4. Paper and ink provided. $40 per person/group discounts of 2 or more: $35 pp. Student price: $25. Previous experience using letterpress preferred, but not required.
Sunday, October 1, 6-9 pm
Tuesday, Oct. 3, 6-9 pm
- DIY Coasters. Make your own custom bar coasters or turn them into holiday ornaments. Pick from circles or squares to make your designs. Coasters and ink provided. No experience needed. (Logos or custom art can be ordered ahead of time with two week’s notice.—extra cost for plate) Price: $35.
Saturday, September 30, 1-4 pm
Sunday, October 8, 1-4 pm
- Happy Hour Letterpress Printing. Good for beginners, anyone with a special project, letterpress experience or advanced users. All tools, paper and ink supplied. $25 includes wine and snacks. Request a date for your group.
- Open Session Letterpress Printing. Good for anyone with a special project, letterpress experience or advanced users. All tools, paper and ink supplied. Minimal supervision/instruction. $10 an hour.
Use the contact form below to set up a date.
Classes by request:
- Letterpress on Fabric. Using wood type, linoleum blocks and custom rubber stamps, you’ll print on t-shirts, totes, small bags and any kind of fabric for your projects. $40 includes one t-shirt and 1 tote to print. You can bring your own fabrics to print with too.
- Linoleum Block Printing. Create and cut your own relief art that can be printed along with letterpress type—you can use a line sketch or trace and transfer line art images. Easy cut linoleum blocks of different sizes will be available. Blocks will be printed on the press and will cover how to hand print them at home. Price: $40, blocks up to 5 x 7 are provided, paper and ink included.
- Stencil Printing. Create backgrounds, images and textures quickly to your letterpress print by a process using paper stencils and the pressure of the press. Your final piece will be multi- color with images and/or with type— a process good for printmakers and letterpress designers. Class is 4 hours long and is limited to 4. Paper and ink provided. $40 per person. Student price: $25.
- Monotype Printing: Try out one of the most liberating forms of printmaking. Learn to create one-of-a-kind prints using direct drawing and painterly techniques. Explore color mixing, brushwork, and ghost images. You will love this direct and expressive type of printmaking. No previous experience required. Price $35. Supplies included in price, but feel free to bring paper of your own and some images for inspiration.
- Paste Paper. Build up texture and patterns on paper for use in bookmaking or to print on. Paste paper is an acrylic paint and flour mixture that stays wet while you work your design. Examples below show small notebooks and letterpress posters all printed on paste paper. Must have a class of at least 3 to run, . All supplies included but you are encouraged to bring your own paper. $20; $15 for students
- Basic Bookbinding. Learn basic book making techniques. Print a cover and sew a small journal together; create an instant book out of a single sheet of paper by folding and cutting and finally we will create an accordion book. All supplies included. Price $35.
- Collagraph Printing. Build up texture and imagery using found objects like burlap, window screen, fabrics, glue, sand, gesso, paint, paper, scraping tools and more on a sturdy surface like mat board, masonite, linoleum, etc.. The surface can be inked up as a relief and then printed. Type can then be printed on top of the image. $30
Looking for something else?
- PRINT PARTY for up to 10 people. Reserve an afternoon or evening for your group. BYOB. Cost $25 pp for 4 hours.
- Gift certificates available
- Custom polymer plates can be ordered before session for an additional fee
Please fill out the form below to sign up for a workshop or for more information.
Presses: Showcard table top; prints up to 14 x 22 inches • Kelsey 6 x 10 tabletop • Kelsey 3×5 • Damon & Peets 9 x 13 (process of refurbishing)
The Workshop • Crow Designs Studio • 334 Adams Ave., Scranton, PA