Art 440 Advanced Portfolio Development
Download the syllabus: art440-portfolio-2019
Your to-do list for the semester.
- Resume, cover letter template
- Business cards
- PDF portfolio
- Design senior exhibit card
- portfolio book
- website/Behance site
- senior exhibit work and presentation
- self promo package; leave behind
- Profession portfolio reviews
Week 1: Introduction
Wednesday, January 16
Introduction: Syllabus, Projects review; Addy award submissions;
Do career self-analysis. Due by end of class via email.
Find your existing resume for next class.
Monday, no class
Wednesday, January 23
Resume lecture; create, design or redesign existing. if you have an existing one, print or email it to me for content review.
Monday, January 28
One-on-one resume review
Analyze your personal branding and decide if it needs revising or you need to start brand new. We will review existing ID systems and redesign or revamp an ID design for resume, PDF portfolio, website, etc. Show or email me any logos, branding you have for yourself.
Wednesday, January 30
Cover letter lecture; first draft of resume due
Cover letter. Select an existing job advertisement that interests you. Write a cover letter directed to that job. Keep it as a template to write future letters. Draft due Thursday via email.
personal review of ID system; start work on ID system.
- start senior reviews for exhibit
Monday, February 4
- revise resume; turn in cover letter; work on ID system
- Gather 15-20 images you want to include in your PDF portfolio (If you have one, let’s review in person.)
Wednesday, February 6
Senior exhibit gallery card design
- Final Resume and cover letter due.Progress crit on ID. Continue to work on ID system.
Monday February 11
- PDF portfolio lesson. InDesign review of hyperlinks.
- ID system check.
Wednesday, February 13
- Work on PDF portfolio.
- Senior exhibit gallery card design crit
Monday, February 18
- pdf portfolio check
- framing/matting discussion
Wednesday, February 20
Lesson: progress crit of PDF portfolio
Monday, February 25
- order prints and frames for show
- sectional frames: pictureframes.com
Wednesday,, February 27
work on senior exhibit
Monday, March 4
Wednesday, March 6 progress crit of PDF
Monday, March 18
- work on PDF; prepare gallery work
Wednesday, March 20
- frame work
Monday, March 25
- turn in gallery work; crit of PDF portfolio
Wednesday, March 27
- work on hallway stuff
Monday, April 1
- finish work for hallway; make buttons
Wednesday, April 3
- set up hallway; hang exhibit (Friday morning too if necessary); clean up 136
Saturday April 6, Senior Exhibit opening
Monday, April 8
Wednesday, April 10
- Lesson: Web presence: Behance and other web based portfolios options
Web site options; do you have one? does it need revising?
Final project: leave behind promo; thank you card
- Bound portfolio book discussion: Blurb, LuLu, Shutterfly, iPhoto books;
Final project: leave behind promo and thank you card
Monday, April 15
Final project: leave behind promo
Wednesday April 17
Web site review
Monday, April 22 Easter break
Wednesday, April 24
- crit of leave behind
- exhibit work comes down today
Monday, April 29
- professional portfolio reviews start at 12:30 pm
Wednesday, May 1
- thank you card and send. take down hallway work
- How to Follow up after an interview: http://mashable.com/2014/04/05/effective-follow-up/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link
May 3 6 pm Professional Portfolio reviews at Wilkes University; Sign up www.wilkes.edu/portfolio
Week 17: Last week of class
Monday, May 6: Field trip. Letterpress day at the Workshop? or Everhart Museum and Nay Aug?