Art 440 Advanced Portfolio Development
Download the syllabus: art440-portfolio-2019
Your to-do list for the semester.
- Resume, cover letter template
- Business cards
- PDF portfolio
- Design senior exhibit card
- portfolio book
- website/Behance site
- senior exhibit work and presentation
- self promo package; leave behind
- Profession portfolio reviews
Week 1: Introduction
Wednesday, January 16
Introduction: Syllabus, Projects review; Addy award submissions;
Do career self-analysis. Due by end of class via email.
Find your existing resume for next class.
Monday, no class
Wednesday, January 23
Resume lecture; create, design or redesign existing. if you have an existing one, print or email it to me for content review.
Monday, January 28
One-on-one resume review
Analyze your personal branding and decide if it needs revising or you need to start brand new. We will review existing ID systems and redesign or revamp an ID design for resume, PDF portfolio, website, etc. Show or email me any logos, branding you have for yourself.
Wednesday, January 30
Cover letter lecture; first draft of resume due
Cover letter. Select an existing job advertisement that interests you. Write a cover letter directed to that job. Keep it as a template to write future letters. Draft due Thursday via email.
personal review of ID system; start work on ID system.
Monday, February 4
- revise resume; turn in cover letter; work on ID system
Wednesday, February 6
- Resume and cover letter draft due.
Progress crit on ID. Continue to work on ID system. Gather 15-20 images you want to include in your PDF portfolio (If you have one, let’s review in person.)
Monday February 11
- start senior reviews for exhibit
- PDF portfolio lesson. InDesign review of hyperlinks. Example: Medley PDF portfolio
- Final Resume and cover letter due. ID system check.
Wednesday, February 13
- senior exhibit informational meeting_Mahady Noon
- Work on PDF portfolio.
Monday, February 18
- pdf portfolio check
- exhibit selection finalized
Wednesday, February 20
Lesson: progress crit of PDF portfolio
Monday, February 25
- framing, matting, exhibition
Wednesday,, February 27
- order prints and frames for show
- sectional frames: pictureframes.com
Monday, March 4
Wednesday, March 6
Monday, March 18
- work on PDF; prepare gallery work
Wednesday, March 20
- frame work
Monday, March 25
- prepare gallery work
Wednesday, March 27
- work to gallery
Monday, April 1
- finish up work
Wednesday, April 3
- set up hallway; hang exhibit (Friday morning too if necessary)
Saturday April 6, Senior Exhibit opening
Monday, April 8
- Lesson: Web presence: Behance and other web based portfolios options
Web site options; do you have one? does it need revising?
Final project: leave behind promo; thank you card
Bound portfolio book discussion: Blurb, LuLu, Shutterfly, iPhoto books;
Wednesday, April 10
Final project: leave behind promo and thank you card
Monday, April 15
Final project: leave behind promo
Wednesday April 17
Web site review
Monday, April 22 Easter break
Wednesday, April 24
- thank you card
- exhibit work comes down today
Monday, April 29
crit of leave behind
Wednesday, April 30
- professional portfolio reviews start at 10 am.
- How to Follow up after an interview: http://mashable.com/2014/04/05/effective-follow-up/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link
Week 17: Last week of class
Monday, May 1: finish Thank you cards and send