Class meets Monday & Wednesday, 9-noon
- Type Tips book & Spark page (semester long project)
- Hand lettering exercises (semester long)
- Letterpress exercise
- Early letter forms
- Create letters and Words exploratory design exercises from book
- Movie Titles: expressive type; animated letters; two-part project
- Grids; Newsletter
- Hand lettering design (includes hand lettering exercises throughout the semester)
- Calligraphy; thank you cards
- Design your own typeface
August Week 1
M 8/26 Introduction/history of type
Syllabus; Assignments overview; supplies; textbook
- Required text: Lessons in typography by Jim Krause
- Supplemental text (not required) and online resources: Designing with Type 5th Ed
- Suggested texts: Typography Essentials: 100 Design Principles
- Suggested type gauge ruler
- Hand lettering lecture & exercise (semester long class warm-up)
- Documentary: Abstract: Paula Scher (41 minutes)
W 8/28 Early letterforms/history
hand lettering warm up (bring Sharpie marker, pencil, ruler)
Project 1: Early letterforms; InDesign demo
September Week 2
M Labor Day-no class
W 9/4 Early letterforms/history
hand lettering warm up (bring Sharpie marker, pencil, ruler)
- work on early letter forms; print and trim early letterforms project for Monday crit
- Read Introduction and Chapter 1 in Lessons in Typography-Krause
Friday: September First Friday
September Week 3
M 9/9 Project 1 early letter forms due;
- Introduction of Type Tips book project; Spark journal
- Demo on how to Set up Type Tips book in InDesign; 12 pages, facing pages; start placing content;
- Suggested content:
- character parts (serifs, counter, descender, etc.)
- type measurements (points, x-height, etc.) and classifications (old style, modern, script, slab serif, sans serif)
- type history/letterpress (Gutenburg, timeline, technology)
- type personality
- hand lettering examples
- type details (dashes, ellipses, quotes/primes)
- proofreader’s marks
- style sheets
- sketches for your projects
- use your lettered logo
- notes from class , reading and projects
- online reading and exercise:
Five Classic Typefaces: http://www.designingwithtype.com/5/classifications.php
W 9/11 History of type; letterpress demo in Insalaco printmaking studio; set your name and print (split class-1/2 the class works in studio at 9 am/other half works on quiz then switch at 10 a.m.)
- Add to Spark Journal
- Open notes quiz. Turn in by end of class.
- Read Chapter 2 for next class.
September Week 4
M 9/16 Project 2: Create and design letters
- Spark journal check (just to see that it’s started)
- Project 2: Do Chapter Two exercises on pages 66-67. Have them ready for next class to critique on screen.
- Read Chapter 3 up to page 99 for next class.
W 9/18 Design letters/Words
- Review Project 2 letter designs
- Do the two exercises on page 100 in Chapter 3 after reading pages 84-99.
- Read rest of Chapter 3.
September Week 5
M 9/23 Working with Words
Movie Title Design
Project 3/Part I: movie titles (static)
Part I: Using a movie of your choice, create a title card (static) type only design. The type design will convey the essence of the movie through choice of font, styling, color and other design elements. Any imagery used, must be secondary and integrated into the type design as a symbol or icon. The typography is the star, not the image! In your sketchbook, create at least 10 thumbnails of different ideas for review before proceeding to the design stage.
W 9/25 Class review of movie title roughs. Must be ok’d before working on final.
- Read Chapter 4 in Krause book
September/October Week 6
M 9/30 Movie Title Design/Motion
Class progress crit of movie titles.
Demo of After Effects
Project 3/Part II: Create motion for your movie title using After Effects. You may add background support imagery for this part, but the type still must be central to the design. Your animation should be 10-20 seconds and include sound.
- Create a storyboard to plan our your motion before you begin
Adobe After Effects Tutorials:
W 10/2 Work on movie title motion graphics (no instructor). Take home quiz 2 due Monday.
October Week 7
M 10/7 Motion graphics
- Quiz 2 due.
- Demo on how to export movie from After Effects
W 10/9 Motion Graphics
- Project 3 Due. Critique movie title project.
- Read Chapter 5 in Krause
- Update Type Tips book and Spark Journal. I will meet one on one in class to check progress.
October Week 8
M 10/14 Fall break – no class
10/16 Editorial layout/grids
- Spark journal link due.
- Project 4 Grids/Editorial (download text and images files here (don’t download grid or specs file): http://www.designingwithtype.com/5/grids.php).
- Grids lecture and exercise; More InDesign.
- Review Grids layout for Type Tips book due (one on one)
October Week 9
M 10/21 Editorial layout/grids
- Kerning, spaces, dashes and details lecture.
- work on newsletter.
W 10/23 Editorial layout/grids
- Print and PDF demo for turn in
- Finish newsletter; print for next class
- work on Type Tips
October Week 10
M 10/28 Editorial Layout/Hand lettering
- Project 4 Due. Crit printed newsletter
Project 5: Hand lettering . You will hand letter your full name (first and last) to be used as your personal branding. You’ll also hand letter a monogram version (letters of your first and last name). Flourishes, decorative elements and secondary simple image icons are allowed, but the design must be primarily hand lettered type. Consider using shapes to help design your letter form design. Think about style (serif, sans serif, brush script, calligraphy, shaded, dimensional, etc.)
W 10/30 Work on hand lettering. Review ideas one on one.
November Week 11
M 11/4 Hand lettering
- Hand lettering progress check; design exercises quick show and tell.
- Finish project for next class
- Project 5: Handlettering due
- Project 6: Thank You cards with calligraphy
- Thank you card is of your own design and size. Final must be original, no copies.
- Scoring and folding demonstration
- calligraphy demo, practice and exercises
November Week 12
M 11/11 Practice calligraphy words
- practice: The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
Project 6: Design your own type face
W 11/13 Project 6 Card due
Project 7: Design Your Own Typeface
November Week 13
M 11/18 Typeface; one on one idea review
W 11/20 Typeface; n and o due
November Week 14
M 11/25 Typeface, class progress crit
- Helvetica documentary
W 11/27 Thanksgiving break
December Week 15
M 12/2 Typeface and Type Tips
- Type specimen poster lecture
- Type tips book binding lecture;
W 12/4 Typeface and poster; take home final quiz
December Week 16
- Quiz due.
- Crit for typeface and type specimens
W 12/11 Crit for Type tips
* This schedule may vary according the progress of the class and inclement weather.
** Not all lectures, demonstrations, quizzes, and audio/visual presentations have been noted on this outline.