- Drypoint; small and large plate
- Masking tape collagraph
- Zinc etch
- Mixed media
- Resource Journal-all semester (Spark or notebook)
Week 1 August 28, 30: Drypoint
Tuesday: Syllabus, introduction to print processes: intaglio, relief, offset and screen print. Demo on beveling plate edges and drypoint tools. Prepare drawing for next class.
Thursday: Printing demo; printing template, paper tearing/soaking, applying ink, wiping plate, press pressure and printing. Take larger plate and work on idea for drawing over weekend.
Week 2 September 4, 6: Drypoint/collagraph
Tuesday: Demo on Adobe Spark. Look at first prints. Discussion on editions.
Thursday: Work on large intaglio. Color demo…ala poupee
First topics to add to Journal:
- Your first project. Photos or scans of plate, art, any process shots. Notes on process that are helpful to you. Press pressure, printing steps, etc. Any way you want to present it.
- Research an artist or two from the list in your syllabus. Include a few samples of their work and make a note what they are famous for. Start with historical ones like Durer and Rembrandt.
- Explain the 4 different printing processes
- Define these terms from your syllabus:
- a la poupee
Week 3 September 11, 13: Drypoint/Solar plate
Tuesday: Finish edition of 5 for black and white large drypoint. Work on one good print including color using a la poupee.
Thursday: Finish prints. Turn in edition of 5 in Black and White and one Color for next Tuesday.
Week 4 September 18, 20: Solar plate
Tuesday: Class print review. Masking tape collagraph. Make 5, not edition. Aim for variety.
- Final drypoint print and notes of process. Comment on successes and any “I wish I could have…”
- Terms: Solar plate, proofs (AP, TP, EV)
- Printmaker lookup: Jim Dine, Picasso
Add to Journal: Solar plate process notes and your work process; Papermaking
Week 5 September 25, 27: Solar plate
Tuesday: Papermaking ;
Finish masking tape prints.
Introduction to solar plate. Demo on image set up, transparency, exposure and wash out.
https://solarplate.com/ Dan Welden has Youtube instructional videos. You can also buy from Dick Blick.
Thursday: Demo 2 color and registration. Expose plates, print. Edition of 5. Plus 1 artist proof with 2 color plate.
Add to Journal: Your final making tape print with discussion of results
Week 6 October 2, 4: Solar
Tuesday: Work on plates.
Thursday: Finish solar. Zinc demo: hard ground. Prep plates, polish, coat.
Add to Journal: Your final print with discussion of results
Week 7 October 9, 11: solar plates
Thursday: finish up solar
Add to Journal: Collagraph
Week 8 October 18:
Fall break on Tuesday, October 16
Thursday: Class review of solar etching editions. New project: Collagraph
Week 9 October 23, 25 Aquatint/Collagraph
Thursday: Zinc demo; file zinc plate edges; collagraph
Week 10 October 30, November 1 Zinc
Tuesday: Zinc. Edition of 10.
Thursday: collagraph plate review; work on zinc
Week 11 November 6, 8 Zinc, chin colle
Tuesday: Zinc aquatint/mezzotint demo
Thursday: finish Zinc
Week 12 November 13, 15 Mixed media
Tuesday: Review Zinc edition;
Project: your choice of media (drypoint, solar, zinc, collagraph, aquatint or combination); edition of 5 plus two AP
Thursday: mixed media
Week 13 20 and Thanksgiving: no class
Week 14 November 27, 29 Mixed media
Week 15 December 4, 6 Mixed media
Spark Learning Journal due for final exam week